Bill Gates is worth $31,004,950,033.64 - enough for a McDonald’s meal for everyone on Earth.
This Blog does not aim to be a book review, but I stumbled across this book called “How to Make a Camel Smoothie” (which I got my Dad for Christmas) and it discovers some fantastic and amazing and humorous numbers which try to explain certain things.
Here is one section which I particularly enjoy as it puts life and our livelihood (and that of others) into perspective- here goes:
Imagine you (YOU) would live in a village ofprecisely 200 people, and this would count as the ENTIRE GLOBAL POPULATION, then, in relation to such population the following numbers would represent the people:
* 97 would be women (at birth)
* 103 would be men (at birth)
* 34 would be left-handed
* 60 would be under 15 years old
* 14 would be over 65 years old
* 38 would come from more developed countries
* 162 would come from less developed countries
* There would be 122 Asians
* There would be 24 Europeans
* There would be 28 Africans
* There would be 18 from South America and the Caribbean
* There would be 10 from North America (including 9 Americans)
* There would be 1 from Oceania
* 120 would live within 62 miles of a coastline
* 96 would be urban dwellers
* 50 would be homeless or live in sub-standard housing
* 96 would lack access to basic sanitation
* 32 would lack access to safe drinking water
* 28 would suffer from malnutrition
* 32 would be unable to read and write
* 58 would believe in witchcraft
* 9 would get drunk each day
* 1 would eat at McDonald’s each day
…and my calculations have shown that in this global village of 200 people there would be a total of 2 bloggs!!!! and based on these predictions for 2006, there would be a total of 4 blogs by the end of the year.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment